Assistant Maintenance Supervisor – Carlton Arms (900 Units)
Assistant Maintenance Supervisor
Reports to: Maintenance Supervisor/Property Manager
Supervises: No one (or in the Maintenance Supervisor’s absence, supervises on-site maintenance staff, which may include Maintenance Technicians, Groundskeepers, Housekeepers, Painters, Make-Ready Technicians.
Wage Status: Hourly (Non Exempt eligible for overtime)
The Assistant Maintenance Supervisor must efficiently perform all necessary maintenance for the property and assist the Maintenance Supervisor with organizing, directing and managing the overall maintenance programs of the property. Customer service and helping with the cleanliness and marketability of the property tops off the duties as a vital player in the property’s ability to renew and secure new leases.
Each duty must be performed with the focus and accuracy it requires. The essential knowledge, skills and abilities you need are outlined below. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the job’s essential functions.
- Assist the Maintenance Supervisor with providing technical skills and training to the service team.
- Teach and promote safe work practices.
- Participate in company training classes and meetings, ensure all service staff receives appropriate training as required.
- Assist with recruiting and hiring of quality staff, recommended promotions and terminations when necessary.
- Assist the Maintenance Supervisor with staff development through continuous motivation and training; assist with counseling sessions to ensure the team is effective.
- Purchase supplies as necessary using standard purchase order system and proper bidding procedures under supervision of Maintenance Supervisor.
- Prepare staffing schedules consistent with property needs under supervision of Maintenance Supervisor.
- Assist the Maintenance Supervisor with organizing, prioritizing and ensuring service requests and repairs are made correctly and in timely manner.
- Assist Maintenance Supervisor with monitoring inventory of parts and supplies and appropriate levels.
- Work with Maintenance Supervisor to ensure physical condition of property is maintained according to company operating and safety standards.
- Work with the Maintenance supervisor to ensure excellent curb appeal at all times.
- Inspect grounds, buildings, and other community features daily to minimize liability concerns and ensure excellent curb appeal at all times.
- Assist Maintenance Supervisor with overseeing turnkey operations; ensure vacant units are made rent-ready in a timely manner.
- Adhere to the Standard Operating Procedures.
- Work with Maintenance supervisor to maintain an effective preventative maintenance program.
- Maintain an organized, clean and safe work area.
- Ensure adherence to the company safety and hazard communications programs, policies and procedures.
- Maintain a superior customer service relationship with residents, co-workers, vendors, and the community.
- Communicate effectively with residents, co-workers, vendors, and the community.
- Work with Maintenance Supervisor to obtain competitive bids for maintenance-related expenses.
- Assist Maintenance Supervisor with department budgeting and reforecasting as required.
- Other tasks or duties as assigned by supervisor.
- A High School education or equivalent is required.
- Ability to fluently read and write English.
- Accurately perform intermediate mathematical functions and use all on-site resident management software functions.
- One to two years minimum experience as supervisor in community management maintenance, other building maintenance or related field. Renovation experience may be required for older communities built five or more years ago.
- Ability to work any of the seven days of the week, 52 weeks of the year. Our property staffing limitation makes it critical for you to work your scheduled hours consistently as well as overtime if necessary when requested.
- Ability to serve on-call, as scheduled or as necessary. On-call staff is required to live within a minimum distance to the property for efficient response time.
- Ability to travel to attend various company gatherings either in the general vicinity or your home, property, or in another state.
TYPICAL PHYSICAL DEMANDS
Will be exposed to constant activity that requires intermittent standing, bending, crouching, pushing/pulling, lifting/moving/carrying (light to heavy weight material/appliances/equipment up to 50 pounds for variable distances), climbing ladders/stairs, and walking on rooftops without endangering yourself, residents or co-workers. Requires manual dexterity sufficient to operate small-motorized equipment (i.e., repetitive hand/wrist, griping and elbow motion). Must have normal range of hearing, vision, color discrimination and depth perception for proper operation and repair of machines, wiring, and equipment. Must be able to complete tasks wearing appropriate safety equipment (i.e., back belts, goggles, masks, gloves, etc.).
TYPICAL MENTAL DEMANDS
Must be able to read and write in English at intermediate level to read diagrams, meters, instructions, write reports, etc. Must be able to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions and plans. On a regular basis must use independent judgment (following prescribed procedures) to determine actions to be taken, priorities, emergencies, etc. Must be able to deal with moderate to high levels of stress due to meeting deadlines, reprioritizing activities and supervising employees in the Maintenance Supervisor’s absence. Will interact regularly with residents, vendors, contractors, supervisors, employees and coworkers and therefore, must have excellent interpersonal skills.
Will be exposed on a regular basis to outdoor environment (i.e., heat, cold, damp, rain, etc.). Will also have light to moderate exposure to injuries (i.e., chemicals, electrical, machinery, tools, lifting, etc.). Will be exposed to some low-level noise when using power tools. Hazards can be minimized with proper lifting techniques, MSDS and general safety training and wearing of proper safety equipment.
- Valid driver’s license and current automobile insurance is required; position requires own vehicle to fulfill all of job’s functions.
- EPA certification Type I and II.
- Pest Control, if performed in house.
- Other licenses and certification as required by Bainbridge, state or federal law.
- Own set of basic hand tools; tools not provided by property.
- Use of general maintenance equipment including but not limited to: hand tools, ladders, refrigerant recovery units, landscaping equipment and required safety equipment, all equipment must be used without jeopardizing the safety of yourself, fellow associates or residents.
- Appropriate safety equipment and apparel that includes proper footwear, such as work boots.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to accept and learn from constructive criticism
- Well organized, detail oriented, efficient
- Ability to prioritize and multi-task
- Must be team oriented but able to work independently on occasion
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Strong customer service orientation
- Ability to meet deadlines which may include late hours and weekend as needed
- Ability to follow oral and written instruction
- Ability to lead and motivate a staff
Special skills include ability to diagnose problems with and repair the following:
- Major appliances
- HVAC, with EPS Certification
- Basic to intermediate plumbing, sheetrock, general carpentry
- Basic to intermediate electrical, when no license is required
- Pool care and pest control if required by property
- Roofs and gutters
- Irrigation maintenance and repairs
- Fountain maintenance and repairs
- Foundation/sidewalk repairs
- Ice/snow removal
- Golf carts and small engine maintenance
- Basic computer and Internet knowledge
- Ability to use Outlook
- Ability to operate and understand personal computer functions and company utilized software packages
Learning and Development
- Commit to ongoing professional development and career growth
- Must wear career apparel based on defined company standards